Col. Clifford enlisted into the United States Air Force in 1990, and after completing basic training attended technical training at Lowry Air Force Base, Colorado, graduating as a Precision Measurement Equipment Laboratory Apprentice. He received his commission in 2000 as a graduate of Officer Training School (OTS), Maxwell AFB, Alabama. Col. Clifford joined the Alaska Air National Guard in July of 2004. Prior to appointment as vice commander of the 168th Wing, he served in numerous assignments to include deputy commander of the 611th Air Operations Center, at Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson and Program analyst for the Capabilities and Integration Branch, at NORAD and USNORTHCOM. Col. Clifford also served for 13 years as a full-time Guardsman with the 176th Air Defense Squadron, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska. He served in many positions to include commander, director of operations, training officer, chief of standardization and evaluations, and held several qualifications including mission crew commander. Col. Clifford was responsible for the Alaskan NORAD Regions tactical level air defense command and control mission, employing over 100 operators in the 24/7 alert mission of Operation NOBLE EAGLE.
Prior to assuming his current position, Col. Clifford was deputy commander, 611th Air Operations Center, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska.
1997 Community College of the Air Force, Associates, Electronic Systems Technology, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1999 Community College of the Air Force, Associates, Instructor of Technology, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1998 Wayland Baptist University, Bachelors, Occupational Education, Extended Campus
2000 Officer Training School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 Air Battle Manager Course, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
2006 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2008 Air Operations Center Interface Control Officer Course, Hulbert AFB, Fla.
2008 Air Command Staff College, by correspondence
2014 Air War College, by correspondence
2016 Requirements Manager Level B certification
2017 Joint Senior Leaders Course – Countering WMD and CBRN Defense
2017 Planning, Programming, Budgeting and Execution Course
2017 Defense Support of Civil Authorities Phase I
2017 Defense Support of Civil Authorities Phase II
2017 Joint Task Force Commanders Training Course, N&NC
- June 1991–May 1994, Precision Measurement Equipment Journeyman, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska
- May 1995–July 1998, Precision Measurement Equipment Journeyman, Luke AFB, Ariz.
- November 1998–June 2001, Air Battle Manager Student, 325th Training Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
- June 2001–October 2004, Senior Director, 611th Air Control Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
- October 2004–January 2006, Chief Training, 176th Air Control Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
- January 2006–June 2007, Chief Standardizations/Evaluations, 176th Air Control Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
- June 2007–November 2009, Chief Command/Control Systems, 176th Air Control Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
- November 2009–August 2013, Flight Commander, 176th Air Control Squadron, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
- August 2013–November 2014, Director of Operations, 176th Air Defense Squadron, JBER, Alaska
- November 2014–June 2016, Commander, 176th Air Defense Squadron, JBER, Alaska
- June 2016–September 2018, Senior Program Analyst, NORAD and USNORTHCOM J8, Peterson AFB, Colo.
- September 2018–April 2019, Deputy Commander, 611th Air Operations Center, JBER, Alaska
- April 2019–Present, Vice Commander, 168th Wing, Eielson AFB, Alaska
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Good Conduct Medal with three oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Long
Air Force Longevity Service with four oak leaf cluster
Air Force NCO PME Graduate Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman Basic August 6, 1990
Airman February 6, 1991
Airman First Class February 6, 1992
Senior Airman February 6, 1994
Staff Sergeant March 1, 1998
Second Lieutenant March 3, 2000
First Lieutenant March 3, 2002
Captain March 3, 2004
Major March 7, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel March 11, 2013
(Current as of April 2019)